The concept of Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) or scalp art dates back to ancient times, where crude methods involved creating superficial injuries on the skin’s surface using sharp objects and applying pigments from organic sources. However, due to aesthetic limitations, this practice was not widely adopted.
In the contemporary era, Micropigmentation has evolved into an advanced semi-permanent technique, employing highly skilled methods to implant colored pigments into the upper dermis using state-of-the-art technology.
Indications for SMP: SMP is a versatile procedure applicable to various areas, including eyeliner, lips, scars, breast areola, vitiligo patches, and, notably, Scalp Micropigmentation.
Procedure Overview: Before the procedure, the patient should shampoo their hair, and the area is cleaned. The color is prepared to match the existing hair color. Two main methods are employed:
- Dot Method: Ideal for those who prefer daily scalp shaving.
- Line Method: Suitable for individuals trimming hair every 2-3 days at a length of 2.5mm.
A combination of dots and lines is used for crown area baldness, while the line method enhances density in the hairline. The depth of needle penetration varies based on factors like handpiece angle and scar tissue thickness.
Key Aspects of SMP:
- Use a machine with proper RPM and minimal vibration.
- Opt for organic pigments to maintain color stability.
- Consider the technique, speed of strokes, and depth of penetration for dot and line methods.
The pigments typically last 2-3 years, influenced by sun exposure and chlorine pool exposure. Density adjustments should align with the natural look goal, considering the existing density.
- Wash the scalp every 4th or 8th day initially, followed by regular head washes with a mild shampoo.
- Avoid minoxidil, oil, gel, and chemical hair treatments for three weeks post-procedure.
- Refrain from mesotherapy, PRP, or other scalp treatments for at least one week.
Conclusion: SMP is an effective cosmetic solution for early thinning or balding, offering a temporary concealer that eliminates the mess associated with traditional solutions like rain or sweating. It can be seamlessly integrated with hair transplant procedures and is instrumental in camouflaging FUT scars. Embracing SMP provides individuals with a modern, aesthetic, and convenient approach to hair density enhancement.